Saturday, February 2, 2013

TALLER THAN THE TREES


The Redwood Sequoia is the World's tallest tree species that grows to be around 379 feet. I have never seen one in person but would love to cast my eyes on this botanical beauty. Hmm. What's the chance they would let me climb it. As I started writing this post I got to thinking about what it means to climb and so I asked myself this question. Is there an even loftier HEIGHT I can attain that will surpass mere mortal success?  







I believe that each and every person is planted on earth for a specific purpose. Now whether or not we follow through is our choice. If we are only spending our time toiling for self-gratification and personal gain, this will eventually prove fruitless. Am I saying that riches and success are completely futile? Actually, I’m saying just the opposite. I think when you have more money and success this allows you to help many more people.


This brings me back to the whole "planted" thing. We all know from science class that we need air, food and water to exist and that all trees contribute life-giving H20. Now imagine for just a moment how this would relate to you as a human being. If you were precisely planted on earth by God couldn't He also raise you UP to a place of high purpose? What if that purpose happened to be attached to fame and fortune? When I was growing up in Mississippi, it was hard for me to understand how I could be raised up for greatness. I had a tough enough time raising myself up out of bed every morning. I was so wrapped up in counting all of my limitations that I wasn't counting on the one thing that was unseen. 



Don't forget about your ROOTS!


If you remember on my very first post I mentioned the concept of AZ.(artist/zen) This is an inner discipline that I began developing years ago and it is centered around four elements called the Tetred. They are God, family, friends and art. It is built on simple precepts that deal with being who God made you to be and to live AZ yourself. I sought simplicity in the midst of a complex world called the entertainment industry. Because I was planted in the industry world I also had a heart for those who struggled in it. Entertainers can have a perceived perfection as we create a faulty illusion that is separate from who we really are. Singers, actors, athletes, writers and everyday people fall under the pressure of trying to be someone other than who God planted them to be. The sky is the limit on who we can be and how high we can go... and to think it all started from the ground.  

UPWARD




When I was around twelve years old I had a dream that I took off flying over the treetops. To this day, it is the sweetest feeling of freedom I have ever experienced. The trees were lit up as I drifted farther away from the ground. The sky that was once filled with a silent darkness was now shining from a luminous glow. With a graceful motion and angelic-like gravity I began to float and was lifted higher towards an unknown destiny. 

When you reach beyond your anguished grip to a higher place and find yourself down, remember that you have been planted for a purpose. You are rooted and pointing upward. You are taller than the trees.









NOTE: Feel free to leave a comment.























2 comments:

  1. I have seen these trees. They are bigger than you can imagine. As big as we can imagine we cannot comprehend God's creative power. We must allow for mystery in our lives, trusting Him with the answers.
    Created in his likeness, we have power to create. Our imagination exists in that space between what we see and the mysteries of The Creator. That's a big space. Seek, wander, wonder... Fly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is encouraging brother. The eye hath not seen.

    ReplyDelete